Mar 8, 2010
\\kant
Mar. 8, 2010:
Today, I am writing early because I was inspired. I have just learned about the proof of Gods existence from a Logical and Reasonable perspective.
Here's what I learned (with help from Immanuel Kant)
In order to even talk about God, we must have Reason to know that there is an Idea of God.
To read the Bible, therefore learning about God, one must assert Reason and Logic to comprehend the words that teach about Gods existence.
I didn't really understand that part. But I did get this...
In Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, The Antimony of Pure Reason, he states the Thesis and Antitheses: the thesis being "The world has a beginning, and is also limited as regards to space" (Kant, 396). I agree with this because Gen. 1:1 (In the beginning the Lord created the Heavens and the Earth :: in the beginning) Therefore, God created the universe at t=0. I also agree that the universe is limited, but is constantly expanding. Prof. Davis described it like a balloon, when you start blowing the balloon up, it is not infinite: when God started the universe, it is not infinite (it is constantly expanding, however). By this example, if there is no starting point, then you cannon arrive at NOW, therefore the number of past events is finitet (the world has a beginning). Because everything (effects) has a cause, the universe is the effect of a creator (perfect being, God).
Kant's Proof:::
"If we assume that the world has no beginning in time, then up to every given moment an eternity has elapsed, and there has passed away in the world an infinite series of successive states of things. Now the infinity of a series consists in the fact that it can never be completed through successive synthesis. It thus follows that it is impossible for an infinite world-series to have passed away, and that a beginning of the world is therefore a necessary condition of the world's existence. This was the first point that called for proof" (Kant, 397).
(Kant was an unbeliever and still proved the necessity and proof for the existence of God from a logical standpoint using only reason. And because there cannot be a contradiction, the Antithesis [the world has no beginning, and no limits in space; it is infinite s regards both time and space])
Woah!
The professor then went on to say that God entered into Time, and therefore changes (like Aquinas theorized). The class did not have enough time to explain this, but I think I may agree. God is unchanging in his power and being, but changing in accendental things (ie. he is not answering a miracle now that was answered last year; this is the same change that occurs when someone walks away from me - the person was 1 metre away, and now is 2 metres therefore I have gone through an accendental change).
We will unwrap this a bit more next class, on Wednesday.
Today, I am writing early because I was inspired. I have just learned about the proof of Gods existence from a Logical and Reasonable perspective.
Here's what I learned (with help from Immanuel Kant)
In order to even talk about God, we must have Reason to know that there is an Idea of God.
To read the Bible, therefore learning about God, one must assert Reason and Logic to comprehend the words that teach about Gods existence.
I didn't really understand that part. But I did get this...
In Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, The Antimony of Pure Reason, he states the Thesis and Antitheses: the thesis being "The world has a beginning, and is also limited as regards to space" (Kant, 396). I agree with this because Gen. 1:1 (In the beginning the Lord created the Heavens and the Earth :: in the beginning) Therefore, God created the universe at t=0. I also agree that the universe is limited, but is constantly expanding. Prof. Davis described it like a balloon, when you start blowing the balloon up, it is not infinite: when God started the universe, it is not infinite (it is constantly expanding, however). By this example, if there is no starting point, then you cannon arrive at NOW, therefore the number of past events is finitet (the world has a beginning). Because everything (effects) has a cause, the universe is the effect of a creator (perfect being, God).
Kant's Proof:::
"If we assume that the world has no beginning in time, then up to every given moment an eternity has elapsed, and there has passed away in the world an infinite series of successive states of things. Now the infinity of a series consists in the fact that it can never be completed through successive synthesis. It thus follows that it is impossible for an infinite world-series to have passed away, and that a beginning of the world is therefore a necessary condition of the world's existence. This was the first point that called for proof" (Kant, 397).
(Kant was an unbeliever and still proved the necessity and proof for the existence of God from a logical standpoint using only reason. And because there cannot be a contradiction, the Antithesis [the world has no beginning, and no limits in space; it is infinite s regards both time and space])Woah!
The professor then went on to say that God entered into Time, and therefore changes (like Aquinas theorized). The class did not have enough time to explain this, but I think I may agree. God is unchanging in his power and being, but changing in accendental things (ie. he is not answering a miracle now that was answered last year; this is the same change that occurs when someone walks away from me - the person was 1 metre away, and now is 2 metres therefore I have gone through an accendental change).
We will unwrap this a bit more next class, on Wednesday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
About Me
- Lucas Michael
- I am Lucas Michael Roberts. I just entered a new era in my life. My music has changed, my views on life have changed, and I have had a complete turn around in who I am. Is this good? I am not sure. We will have to stay on this road to figure it out. Keep in touch. Drop me a line with questions. Lucas.
0 comments:
Post a Comment